Ridge augmentation is one of the restorative and cosmetic procedures that help restore the natural shape of your jaw and gums. It works by adding bone or other materials to replace any missing tissue due to trauma, disease, or tooth loss. This procedure can help improve your mouth’s aesthetics, comfort, and overall function.
Read on to learn more.
What Is Ridge Augmentation?
Ridge augmentation is a surgical procedure that restores the natural shape of your jawline and gum tissue after trauma, disease, or tooth loss. The process involves adding bone grafts or other materials to replace any lost tissue. This helps create a more natural-looking and comfortable bite for you.
You may consider ridge augmentation if you have experienced significant tooth loss due to trauma, disease, or age. In addition, you may require this procedure before undergoing dental implant treatment to ensure your implant will be secure and have a natural appearance. You should also talk with your dentist about this procedure if you’re looking for an aesthetic improvement in the appearance of your mouth.
When considering these types of oral surgeries, find a reputable and experienced dental clinic. Ask for recommendations or read reviews online to make sure you feel comfortable with the clinic and that it meets your needs. You may also call them and ask about their experience, insurance coverage, and payment plans.
Before, During, and After Ridge Augmentation: What to Expect
- Your dentist will first assess your oral health and determine if you’re a good candidate for ridge augmentation. They will also discuss any questions or concerns about the procedure.
- After a comprehensive diagnosis, your dentist will create a customized treatment plan tailored to your specific needs.
Your dentist will first numb the area with an anesthetic to ensure you feel no discomfort. Then, they will use small incisions in your gums to access the bone beneath and place any necessary material or bone grafts. Depending on the type of ridge augmentation procedure, this could take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours.
After your procedure is complete, your dentist will provide you with detailed instructions for post-op care. This may include:
- Refraining from strenuous activities and taking antibiotics to prevent infection.
- Cleaning the area regularly with an antiseptic mouthwash and avoiding brushing or flossing the area.
- Taking pain medication, as needed, to reduce any discomfort.
Your dentist will also provide follow-up appointments to ensure optimal healing and a successful outcome.
Additional Procedures to Consider
After the ridge augmentation procedure, you may opt for the following treatments to enhance your smile and oral health more:
- Porcelain veneers. This durable treatment covers the teeth’ surface to create a more uniform appearance.
- Teeth whitening. This procedure helps lighten the color of your teeth, giving you a brighter and whiter smile.
- Dental implants. This long-lasting treatment for missing teeth looks and feels like natural teeth and is one of the most effective treatments for replacing lost ones.
- Sinus augmentation. This procedure adds bone to your upper jaw, allowing for more successful dental implant placement in the sinus region.
Ridge augmentation is an oral surgery that helps restore the natural shape of your jawline and gum tissue. This procedure can benefit those who have experienced trauma, disease, or tooth loss. You can achieve a comfortable bite and aesthetically pleasing smile with proper care and follow-up visits with your dentist. Discuss this treatment option with your dentist to determine if it’s right for you.