Broken teeth are among the most commonly encountered dental problems. It can happen due to an accident, a fall, biting on something hard, or even just aging. While it doesn’t seem like a big deal, a broken tooth can be quite painful and cause other problems if not treated properly.
Is Broken Tooth an Emergency?
If the tooth is just cracked, it’s not usually an emergency. However, if the tooth is broken in half or a large piece is missing, it is best to see a dentist immediately. It’s worth noting that a broken tooth can lead to infection and other problems, such as nerve damage, so it’s best to have it checked as soon as possible.
Visit https://thepasadenatexasdentist.com/services/dental-emergency/ for more dental emergency services.
What to Do After Experiencing a Broken Tooth
While dentists don’t recommend fixing your broken tooth at home, you can do a few things to help relieve the pain and prevent further damage.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water to help clean the area and reduce swelling.
- Apply a cold compress to your cheek to help numb the pain and reduce swelling.
- Take over-the-counter pain medication, such as Ibuprofen or acetaminophen, to lessen pain and inflammation.
- See your dentist as soon as possible. They will know the suitable treatment for your specific situation.
- Follow your dentist’s instructions carefully. They will likely prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection and may recommend a crown or other procedure to restore the tooth.
Can a Dental Implant Be Broken?
Dental implants are designed to last long but can still be broken. While it is not common, it can happen if you bite down on something hard or if there is an injury to the mouth. If this occurs, they need to be replaced by your dentist.
The procedure for replacing dental implants is similar to the original procedure. The implant will be placed in the jawbone and allowed to heal for several months before a new tooth is placed on top. That’s why you must take care of them because once they are broken, it’s not a simple fix. Here’s an overview of how The Pasadena Texas Dentist dental implant procedure is done.
How to Avoid Breaking a Tooth
The following are a few things you can do to help avoid breaking a tooth:
- Wear a mouthguard when playing sports.
- Don’t use your teeth to open things.
- Avoid hard candy and ice cubes.
- Chew food carefully and avoid biting down on hard objects.
- See your dentist regularly for checkups and cleanings.
A broken tooth can be a painful experience, but there are things you can do to ease the pain and prevent further damage. Visit your dentist as soon as you can so they can determine the best course of treatment for your specific situation. Finally, take steps to avoid breaking a tooth in the first place by wearing a mouthguard and avoiding hard objects. If you’re nearby, visit this dentist—one of the best dentists in Pasadena, TX.